· 5: Xtreme-G 185.81 XP32
· 6: Xtreme-G 190.62m Win7/Vista32
· 7: Xtreme-G 195.62 Win7/Vista64
· 8: XG 11.2 Mobility Win7 Vista 64bit
· 9: Xtreme-G 195.62 XP32
· 10: Xtreme-G 190.62m Win7/Vista64

Google Ads

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

My Review comparison between the GTX580 and GTX680
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: My Review comparison between the GTX580 and GTX680 Reply with quote

I just spent most of my day compiling this little review. http://steve30x.byethost11.com/smf/index.php/topic,8.msg9.html#msg9 Please give constructive feedback
Motherboard : Asus Maximus III Gene
RAM : 8GIG Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz
Power Supply :Corsair HX1000
Monitor : BenQ XL2411Z 1080P
Soundcard : Asus Xonar D2
Speakers : Logitech Z906

http://tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&search_id=newposts - check for new posts on TweakForce
Semp
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time. Other than a few spelling errors it's a solid review. I did NOT expect to see that kind of jump in fps going from a 580 to a 680. Have you managed to find any good sli reviews?
Asus Xonar DG | Win8.1 Pro x64

Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realised I have some spelling mistakes but I spent most of yesterday compiling the review. At the end my eyes were tired so Iwill fix the errors today. There are a few Video reviews on Youtube of the GTX680 in sli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzYYf21jwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndPJMPssdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0wTvmXUqws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj89Y-yIIwI

I also noticed looking at the screenshots that in my 3D mark scores that my CPU score went down since I am using the GTX680. Also I am using XtremeG 301.10 drivers for the review.

[EDIT] All spelling mistakes are corrected

http://tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&search_id=newposts - check for new posts on TweakForce
Radical_53
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the review Wink It seems that you put quite some work into it.

To me it's interesting to see the variation in performance differences between the reviews available right now. Some show 50% improvement over the 580, some "only" 10 or 20%.
As my 470 just died I'm not yet sure what to do. Nvidia definitely nailed it by providing a full line of cards with an almost linear price-to-performance ratio.
I'm still hoping for a fast 670 card that's somewhere in between 580 and 680 performance with a price close to the current 580 prices. That'd solve my problem immediately Wink
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those reviews you read online will be exagerated and made look better than it should be just to butter up Vendors so that they can keep the review samples in. What I done in my review is posted it the way I see it and if Palit dosnt like what I said about the GTX580 well they can keep crying. It was a loud card that made my Corsair 800D into an oven. Anyway lastnight I got a decent OC on my GTX680 and I got a big points boost in 3D mark 11

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3275947;jsessionid=1iaw6ne6ladya1vmnxe0cbwzac

I am seeing some people got GPU's that will barely go past 50MHz on an OC wo I am happy with mine. I only OC'd my card just to see how high I can get in 3D mark 11.

Radical_53
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big problem with all of the newer cards has been the dynamic VID.

I had two 470s, one Gainward and one Palit model. Both were reference design cards but had totally different VIDs. The first card ran with 1.025V, the second with 0.95V. If I remember correctly the difference in energy consumption was nothing less than 80W! As the first card also was an incredibly terrible overclocker I sent it back right away.
Especially with a "normal" heatsink this will lead to huge differences in noise. Sadly few of the review sites even mention the VID of the card they're testing.

Concerning performance I'm still totally undecided. Initially my plan was to get a card that had roughly twice the performance of my (overclocked) 470. The 680 could manage this but I'd doubt to see a huge improvement from a 580 (at least one that doesn't overclock like mad).
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to redo my review. My forum went south on me.

WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radical_53 wrote:
One big problem with all of the newer cards has been the dynamic VID.

I had two 470s, one Gainward and one Palit model. Both were reference design cards but had totally different VIDs. The first card ran with 1.025V, the second with 0.95V. If I remember correctly the difference in energy consumption was nothing less than 80W! As the first card also was an incredibly terrible overclocker I sent it back right away.
Especially with a "normal" heatsink this will lead to huge differences in noise. Sadly few of the review sites even mention the VID of the card they're testing.

Concerning performance I'm still totally undecided. Initially my plan was to get a card that had roughly twice the performance of my (overclocked) 470. The 680 could manage this but I'd doubt to see a huge improvement from a 580 (at least one that doesn't overclock like mad).

I dont even see a game that requires a card like this.
In battlelog someone went up from 570 sli to 680sli and his min fps on max settings went up from 139 to 201.

New stuff is only for enthusiasts these days.
Still more then happy with a single 480 here.
I only keep my rig for d3.
Maybe i will play some oblivion 5, Legend of Grimrock or Risen 2 soon.
Your Assuming Im Human, Thats Your First Mistake. My Verse Will Make The Earths Crust Burst Then Perspirate.

----------------------------------
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"

Radical_53
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're totally right about that. The performance of the 470 was still fine for me, often even more than that.
As I have to get a new card now though I'd want it to be faster than what I had before, preferably even with a lower power consumption and larger VRAM. Lastly I don't wont to spend a large amount of money on it so there's the catch Wink
Right now I'm not all that happy with any of the solutions available. Sadly I didn't even do some extended benchmarks before the card went down so I'll have to make the final judgement based on memory and some few notes I have left.
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt buy a card that looses 40% value after 2 months (see the 7970 going down) just to save 5 bucks a year on power consumption as long as i dont need that more power.

dont think that the 680 is the max version of the chip. NV fairly should named it 660 or some.
Im assuming they will release a version with more shaderunits as 780 or something like that.

just my pov.
Your Assuming Im Human, Thats Your First Mistake. My Verse Will Make The Earths Crust Burst Then Perspirate.

Radical_53
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I wouldn't want to get a 680 now either. I'm trying to choose between a 570 and a 580 at the moment.
The 570 is basically the same as my 470 (which did 775MHz@0,95V), the 580 would be a little faster (roughly 20%?) but also cost much more (25-50% depending on the version).
Even though the 570 is clearly the better bang-for-the-buck it wouldn't give me anything new.
In the end it comes down to the possible overclocks. My 470 did 30% with its (low) default voltage so I'd need to see at least 15-20% from any of the newer cards to be satisfied.

Even one of the large RAM versions of the 560Ti could be interesting, at least if it's cheap enough. I really didn't want to get a fresh card now, none of the solutions seem to offer something worth their price tag (in comparison to my old setup which, well, doesn't work anymore Very Happy ).
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are also from deutschland right ?

No shipping:
http://www.drivecity.de/product_info.php?products_id=757064&pid=geizhals
or
the 448 core version of a 560ti

No shipping after midnight:
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p777761/pid/geizhals

almost best bang per euro

My 6950 2gb also did the job pretty well.
Really not a bad card ether

Radical_53
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly Wink In comparison to the 570 the 448 core Ti looks pretty good actually.
If I could get one of those really cheap I'd say it would be a great alternative to a "big" card. They'll have to come up with something faster, cheaper and more efficient in the near future anyhow. I'll either get something thay may last me another two years or something really cheap I can swap out in autumn/winter.
Thanks for the suggestion, it may indeed be the solution I was hoping for Smile
dragondale13
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GTX 570 & GTX 560ti 448 are the same prices more or less right now on amazon.I don't see the point in upgrading to any other solutions, as the GTX 570 is the lowest I'm personally willing to go, also don't see the point in spending anything less than $300-$350 as that seems to be the sweet spot for nice performance at higher resolutions these days.It's also as you mentioned, nice to see cards coming out with more than 1gb onboard memory, as it seems to be pretty helpful with the newer games.
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely. The limited VRAM was my main concern with those cards as even my 470 had enough power to fill it easily.
The normal price for a regular 570 would be around 320$ at the moment (680 is over 600$!) which is totally fine for me.
The point in spending less was to save that money and get a (much?) better card at the end of this year (Kepler refresh for example) whilst losing less
money selling the now older card.
The other idea was to take the money I was going to spend willingly plus the money I'd lose by buying and selling a smaller card and get a nice one right now.

The main reason I haven't bought a 570 yet is that I'm still pi**ed my old card just died and that it'd only cost me money, restoring something but not giving me anything on top of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> General Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: